Saturday, June 5, 2010

Presentation

Most of us are currently a part of social networking sites and use them often. Generally what we see at a glance though, are the advantages of being in one. However, there is always two sides to it, so it is important to be more informed about the problems as well, so as to be able to better handle it.

Lets take a look at a brief description of social networking in this video before i start.


The Pros:

Connecting people.
Current friends, old friends, friends of friends, like-minded people etc. People can discover and communicate with one another easily via a social network and it is also a way to meet new people outside one's circle. One can share content, chat, comment on posts etc. It is a wide space that brings people all around together, allowing more interaction between them.

I have made some new friends through Facebook which couldn't happen normally, as well as re-establish contact with my primary school classmates, since all i knew were their names and how they looked like. i find that increased virtual social contact also helps develop skills for real world communication.

It also helps to organize connections between people and in turn makes it simpler to see opportunities than in real life. These include jobs, relationships and possibly solutions for various problems.


Spreading Information.
Many things can spread throughout the network just by twitting, updating a Facebook status, posting a link. Ideas, opinions and information can all be shared easily as people would all be linked in one way or another.

This is a means of which i find out how some of my friends are doing. The various things on their profile all reflect their character and state. I do think that there are some stuff you probably won't know if Facebook didn't exist; Like the little details in peoples lives.

Specific information can be provided by the online community as they themselves can be the knowledge base for others.

Businesses could also use these connections to advertise via groups and fan pages and also using the platform to communicate with their customers. People too can advertise themselves for jobs, dates and also promoting their work.


Applications/Games.(Facebook)
This provides a means of interaction between friends in a different style. Also, sometimes more could be said through quizzes and games than with just words and pictures. This is also a good past-time in moderation and could be useful in multiple ways, such as practicing Japanese(Kanji Box). Below is my friend's opinion of that:
Kanji Box has made it easier for me to memorise and familiarise myself with Japanese words. I'm a self learner, learning Japanese from the Internet, and I find it rather hard to practise on new words as there are not a lot of practice assessments available on the Internet. So Kanji Box drills me on what meanings each words is based on the JLPT syllabus. With that, I now get more practice with more Japanese words, compared to before Kanji Box. ~Wz


The Cons:

Addiction.
With social sites like Facebook and Twitter getting more popular, having more mediums integrated with it, and with easy access to the Internet nowadays, people spend more time online.

Feeling the need to constantly check for updates, change your profile picture, update your status, check for notifications and invites, and constantly using applications would most possibly mean you're addicted to Facebook. Same goes for twitting throughout the day.

It is a problem because this time-consuming habit can lower productivity, reduce actual social interaction and degrade relationships with others.

This is an article on social media addiction.

I realise that i could be addicted somewhat, i use it everyday, its my homepage and i go back to it when i have nothing to do. In many instances, Facebook distracts me when i'm doing work(like now), i tend to take a look from time to time. I think there's just this connectivity that makes it seem beneficial to be always on.

Cyber-bullying/Hate Speech.
Cyber-bullying can be defined as "willful and repeated harm inflicted through the use of electronic devices".

Hate speech is defined as "any communication which disparages a person or a group on the basis of some characteristic such as race or sexual orientation"(Wikipedia).

Social networking sites, for example Facebook, are spaces that can be abused, as it allows partial anonymity, free posting of photos/videos and comments without active moderation by an authority.

Being on an online medium, cyber-bullying/hate speech could be occurring at any moment and also has a widespread audience, such content posted could spread quickly and not be entirely removed, which increases its impact.

This is a societal problem, i feel that people need to learn to respect one another and treat others as they would like to be treated. We may be different in some ways, but we're still one people.

Here's a consequence of bullying on Facebook.

This article discusses cyber-bullying on Facebook and Google .

Privacy.
Putting up personal information, especially contact information, and posts/comments/pictures/videos indiscriminately on one's profile could be a problem.

It could be viewed by people you don't intend it for.
Stalkers, bullies, impersonators and perverts are examples of people who might misuse those information to harass, harm or trick.
Less malicious people such as a partner, parent, employer etc could also come across these information. A wrong post and it could mean trouble from them.

I make use of the privacy options Facebook offers so that strangers know only basic details about me. I keep my contact information private as well since people who do need them would have them.

Here are some examples of people not being careful what they tweet.


In conclusion, i find that social networks are more helpful than they are harmful. Problems arise only because of the people who use it. Therefore, the best way to avoid or reduce trouble is to have sound judgement, be responsible and to be careful.

So how has social networking sites affected you?

22 comments:

  1. i came across harassment while networking.. i find it quite irritating, but interesting when i know some nice people through networking.. So i agree that there is both pros and cons for networking..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carl, good blog presentation. I really love the youtube video as introduction, its relevant and common craft is cool!!! The layout is very organized. The sub-headings are high-lighted in bold, followed with clear and concise sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Useful breadth of info - and some good articles that contain examples to highlight your points. You could provide your input on those cases.

    You also mentioned that "It also helps to organize connections between people and in turn makes it simpler to see opportunities than in real life. These include jobs, relationships and possibly solutions for various problems." Could you elaborate more on that?

    Finally, as to how social networking has affected me - well, it has helped me to connect with people I had lost touch with, and it has also introduced me to past-times like Facebook and Farmville, the latter could be quite meaningless but addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog presentation.I wanna add one more point for the cons. Internet lets people become not familar at face-to-face communication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MK: hmm, so which do you think has a bigger impact?

    Benjamin: thanks ben, i found that quite useful too, it gave me more knowledge. how's your experience with a social network?

    newmediascapes: well in real life, people are blank slates and you can only find out information through them or through people who know them; social networking sites allow users to show information about themselves, such as likes,occupation/resume and perhaps a date profile, to others, it also shows people your friends know and this provides a pathway for interaction with these new people.
    It makes the links between people visible, and also shows how they might be able to help.

    thats good to know(:, also have you come across any negatives on your time on Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Carl!

    Your blog is very organized and presentable. The links somehow or another allows readers to move on to other sub topics so we can get a general idea of your presentation before we read in depth those that we are interested to know more.

    I agree with your conclusion. “Problems arise only because of the people who use it.” I have come to my own conclusion that life is actually fair but people make things unfair.

    Global warming: We asked, still asking and will continue to ask for it.

    War: We tried, still trying and will continue to try to end it.

    Social networking or not, like you mention, we just need to have sound judgement, responsibility and be careful what we ask for. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Xu Xiang: that's true in some sense, people do get more detached from reality when they focus too much in virtual communities, they just need that bit of courage to step up and step out

    hey Hirah, nice examples haha, we do cause our own problems
    its fortunate at least that most people have sense and actually do what's supposed to be done XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today, meeting new friend online is one of the most popular systems for meeting someone new to go out or just to be friends online to chat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cyber-bullying kills. There are also multiple cases in western countries about teenagers committing suicide over cyber-bullying.

    Still I think that the pros out weights the cons. Social networking site really helps you keep track of people that you know but seldom interact with.

    Personal experience: My NS platoon mate. I probably won't even meet or contact more than 1/2 of them after I ORD not that i'm not on good terms with them (They are really good friends) but that is just me, I am not the type who ask friends for an outing, so facebook allows me to easily keep them in contact.

    I was once hooked to facebook games but now I only log into facebook about once a week. Alright I better stop here before I continue telling you stories about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. About privacy, I feel that most people, using these social networking sites, do not consider the risk of just putting their content up. Even if you have set your settings to only allow your friends to see, there is still this possibility of these sites getting hacked, and was stolen of the private information, or a glitch in a system that exposes private content.
    The saying that what goes on the Internet stays on the Internet tends to be quite true, so when one puts something on the Internet he or she should be sure it is something that would be alright if everyone saw it.
    For me, social networking sites has not really impacted me, I look at it once in a while but not really doing anything more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree, based on my own opinion, i feel that i tweet because i don't have things to do or when i get really bored that i spam tweets, and facebook when i feel there's a need to. Espacially when facebook is actually getting boring and i wonder if there's another site similiar to that. And most sites will warn people of letting out their own information such as address or number, but most people just ignore and go ahead with it and put up their own information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ming Quan: ah yes, im quite like that too actually, socialising virtually. Haha, its ok to share more, im sure its interesting(:

    WeiZheng: That is very true, one should always be careful.
    This article supports that one needs to protect their own information instead of only relying on facebook.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/194861/facebook_accounts_hacked_sold.html

    err..oh Jovina: i think social networking sites are pretty much the same xD so if facebook's boring, the rest would be the same too after a while. and yes, i read smwhere that quite a number of people dun make use of privacy settings even though they know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how the presentation is done, simple and organised.
    I agree that there are lots of pro's and con's of social networking sites. For example, facebook allows me to reconnect with my primary school classmates and learn of their well beings. Outings can also be easily organised through this. Because of the games, i think somehow people get addicted to facebook. And i have afew friends who are already attached in reality but has their marital status as single. This, thus, could create unwanted problems.
    That's my comment i have for your presentation! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. yup,based on my own opinion,people get more connect by internet ,but it is not reality,people can make friend on it,but it is not "real" friend and the skill of face to face communication with people is undeveloped .

    ReplyDelete
  15. For my own opinion, going to social networking sites like facebook, I get to contact back with my primary and secondary friends which I lose contact with them and know what they have been doing and how their life going. It is a good thing that I can get back to contact them and meet up with them but not all friends go for social networking site which they think is not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. After I came to Singapore, I get connected to most of my friends and classmates and relatives in India and all across the world, just because of the popularity of social media. But im also aware of the cons.. I always try to stay away from those things, as I already know whts happening around in cyberspace. This is not the case with those ppl addicted to the cyberspace.. They tend to make a living over there. The article is very informative and opens doors for further thinking. The video was also a good addition.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your persentation is very good especially the video you taken.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds like most of us experienced the benefits(:

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that one should be responsible and not abuse these sites so as to make it a happy online enviroment for all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter should be used in a responsible manner. I am a regular Facebook user and in my past one year or so with the networking tool, it has had a mostly positive impact on my life.

    I did not came across any privacy issues or other issues like addiction or cyberbulling. As most of these issues are quite common in today's society, I chose to keep my network of friends as small as possible, adding only people that I know.

    For people who are addicted to Facebook, it's probably the interesting applications or games that are keeping them glued to their screen. Although I login to Facebook almost everyday, I do not consider that as addiction. I just go through the most recent posts and logout. I would say it is more of a habit ha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its useful as a casual thing, but too much of it can get out of hand, since facebook has very little privacy since its easy for phishing. But still it connects your old friends together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Social networking site like Facebook was a success, but after some happening in Facebook, they increase the ability of privacy on their post and profile, which some made it like, you can only see this particular Friend is in your friend list, but there nothing left for you to view in her profile.

    ReplyDelete